CrappieNOW columnist Larry Whiteley will be inducted in the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame on Feb. 6.
CrappieNOW Columnist Larry Whiteley to be Inducted in Missouri Sports Hall of Fame
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – Longtime CrappieNOW columnist Larry Whiteley is being inducted into the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame. Whiteley is among numerous high-profile sports stars who will join the Hall of Fame Class of 2022. He is being recognized for his considerable efforts as a Conservationist and Outdoor Journalist.
A 1964 graduate of Nixa High School who served in the U.S. Navy, Whiteley has hosted an outdoor broadcast show through The Great Ozarks Outdoors, Inc., his family corporation which dates back to 1976. That includes 30 years for the award-winning Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World Radio, which was carried on more than 1,200 radio stations – including those as part of the American Armed Forces Radio Network.
He also was the Corporate Public Relations Manager for Bass Pro Shops for 23 years. Additionally, his voice was the one carried over every Bass Pro Shops store in America, as it welcomed customers, noted the latest sale and gave outdoor tips. He also was a key part of conservation and kid’s outdoor education programs.
To date, Whiteley has voiced more than 18,000 radio shows and written more than 5,000 articles communicating the great outdoors to people around the world.
Besides CrappieNOW , Whiteley still writes for newspapers and magazines, including Hook & Barrell, Outdoor Guide, ShowMe and Missouri Conservation Federation. Whiteley, a winner of numerous awards through several outdoors associations, also is an inductee of the National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.
Congratulations to Larry on the outstanding and well-deserved honor!
The Class of 2022, will be honored on Sunday, February 6 at the Ozark Empire Fairgrounds.
In addition to Whiteley, the Class of 2022 is as follows:
- Willie Roaf, Kansas City Chiefs
- Matt Holliday, St. Louis Cardinals
- Forrest Lucas, founder of Lucas Oil, the namesake for Lucas Oil Speedway & Lucas Oil Stadium
- Ken Morrow, a 1980 USA Hockey gold medalist and four-time Stanley Cup champion
- Rich Gould, a Branson native and the longest-serving TV sports director in St. Louis history
- Julie Dorn, a University of Missouri All-American gymnast
- Jay Osborne, the longtime Nixa High School boys basketball coach
- Tim Poe, coach of the University of Central Missouri men’s golf program
- Steve Hesser, former Glendale High School and Drury University basketball coach
- Jon Leamy, the recently retired coach of the Missouri State University men’s soccer program
- Mike Swanson, Kansas City Royals Communications Executive
- Don Peterson, a 55-year scuba diving coach based in Springfield
- Randy Magers, a Missouri State University baseball & basketball standout
- Larry Whiteley, Conservationist & Outdoor Journalist
- 1984-1991 West Plains High School Volleyball Era
- Rick Byers, former football coach of St. Pius X High School
- 1998-2002 St. Pius X High School Football Era
- Grain Valley High School Cheerleading Program
- Helias Catholic High School Boys Golf Program
- Bryan Properties – John Q. Hammons Founder’s Award
- Bonnie Keller – Ace Award
- Craig Curry – President’s Award